Why Digital Devices?
There are many reasons why we wanted to explore the ipad initiative in our school. We had a vision for our students to be confident, connected, actively-involved, lifelong learners along side our community without being disadvantaged because of our location. We want our students to have the means to prepare and to realise their potential and equally contribute to society and the workforce.
With the increasing use of computers it is making learning with, and about, digital devices essential. Therefore we need to prepare students to participate in society and the future workforce.
The ipad has the potential to expand and enhance interaction in the classroom, enable more real-world activities, improve learning environments, and engage students in new and exciting ways. Opportunities for collaboration and problem-solving are expanded beyond the classroom in an online environment.
A learner-centred curriculum that includes 1:1 digital devices supports greater flexibility in learning pathways, empowering students to learn in a more personalised way with increased control over their own learning. This can help students engage more deeply in their learning and lift their achievement.
Using Digital Technologies
- Supports expanded community and international involvement in learning, both face-to-face and online
- Enables students to learn in relevant, real world 21st century contexts
- Allows students to learn, create, share, and collaborate anywhere, at any time
- Opens up a new world of resources for students, providing much more knowledge than any one teacher or school library could hope to
enables students to personalise their learning experience (recognising every student’s strengths, talents, and needs, building on their identity, language, and culture)
- Helps build on students’ prior and current knowledge, needs, and interests
- Encourages greater collaboration between students, teachers, and school leaders
- Supports teachers to engage in blended, personalised professional, and peer collaboration.
All of these factors add up to more students being present to learn in the classroom and beyond – engaged, enjoying learning, and achieving better results.
Why The Ipad?
There are many schools and educational organisations that have throughly investigated the pro’s and con’s of each device available on the market. Our school decided to deploy the apple ipad because of it’s screen size, the battery life, the APPS available, and the affordability. Apple provides an 0800 helpline and one year warranty with the ability to upgrade the warranty to cover screen damage.